In the 45 second video aired Wednesday, October 19, one of the abductees, Fr. Jingwa provides updates on their welfare and pleads with Bishop Aloysius Fondong Abangalo do “everything possible” to secure their release.
“So far it has not been easy. If you look at us, you will see that our faces are very mournful, very unhappy,” the father said. Jingwa said.
He adds, “It is quite difficult and we only ask My Lord that you do all you can to get us out of here.”
“It’s a question of do or die,” laments the Catholic priest.
He continues: “You see for example, I was very sick, my brothers also do not feel well at all.
“Please, my Lord, help us get out of here. Do whatever it takes to listen to this voice and do what they ask of you. Thank you,” Fr. Jingwa says in the video .
In a September 21 interview with ACI Africa, Bishop Andrew Nkea Fuanya of the Archdiocese of Bamenda in Cameroon declared since the kidnappers made contact with the authorities of the Church, “they only ask for money”.
“Those who abducted these people and burned down the church are only asking for a ransom,” Bishop Nkea said, and added, “They demand 100,000 USD and they argued and went down. They cost around 50,000 USD , but we don’t even have a dollar to pay for this stuff.
According to Bishop Nkea, the kidnappers who claim to be separatist fighters, “see the Church as an easy target to be able to make money.”
“But the Church has no money to pay the ransom,” the Local Ordinary of Bamenda who began his episcopal ministry in Cameroon’s Mamfe diocese as coadjutor bishop in Cameroon told ACI Africa. August 2013.